2/12/10

Oh Cherrios, Oh Cherrios.. why do you mock me?

Well, sorry I haven't even put a menu up for this week! I've not done very well on my Weight Watcher endeavor as far as planning goes. Maybe it's the constant snow storms that get me down! My cupboard is getting bare and my dishes are piling up. Ugh. Nonetheless, I am continuing with my workout regimen like a real soldier, and hope to make a good wholesome dinner tomorrow night consisting of pork chops, mashed potatoes, and peas.

I have this serious cereal problem right now. I have always loved cereal and when I was pregnant I really went nuts on the stuff. Upon returning to Weight Watchers after Drew arrived, I still found myself reaching for the cereal bowl. I wasn't losing weight very well and every other week I would gain, or so it would seem. So on top of starting a new insanely difficult work out plan, I decided to leave the cereal bowl in the cabinet for awhile. It has been hard. I was eating cereal two or three times a DAY! I would look at the gallon of milk at the end of the day and think... wow I wonder how many points half of that gallon is?! It was truly a problem. I mean, it's not like I was breaking out the Shredded Wheat and measuring cups. I had Honey Bunches of Oats in my bowl, and believe me the bowl was running over.

So I put my foot down, dug my heels in, and committed to not eating cereal for one week. One week turned into two after I had lost like 4.5 pounds that first week... two weeks turned into three after seeing a 3.5 pound weight loss, and as I approached my third week of no cereal I thought I could handle it no sweat. I gained last week. 1.5 pounds. It wasn't the cereal... because I still haven't touched the stuff (staring at it longingly doesn't count). Last week was Super Bowl week, and I had taco dip, hot wings, and yes.. oh yess.. Pizza Hut pizza (meat lovers!). Oh, the recipes for the taco dip and the hot wings are to come! They fall in that figure-friendly-ish category ;) So here I am halfway through week three without cereal (Monday will begin week four since I've had my lips around a milky spoonful of sweet goodness), and I'm about to break like an '03 Ford Taurus (inside joke.. haha).

Why do I even want the cereal in the first place? Is it that tasty? Is it that satisfying? Most of the cereal I am lusting for contains no nutritional value what-so-ever. Sure there are claims on the boxes about whole grains, extra fiber, vitamins, and "part of a balanced breakfast," but the sad truth remains that it is just carbohydrates dredged in mountains of sugar and food dye. Oh the sweet little Fruit Loop O's dance in my head creating little rainbows of goodness taunting me from my toddler's high chair tray. If I eat the cereal, I will be giving in to the craving not the hunger. I'm not hungry for cereal... I just want to eat the cereal. So I will not. I will stand strong. I will laugh in the face of Toucan Sam and urge him to keep tempting me because this cereal-loving maniac isn't folding this time. Keep your cartoons, carbs, and high fructose corn syrup. It's time I got healthy, and left the cereal behind!

1 comment:

Amber Stull said...
This comment has been removed by the author.